Right to Work in Guernsey

For details on work in Guernsey, IT jobs in guernsey or indeed any Guernsey job vacancies please call our dedicated consultants who can talk you through the details.

Housing: Due to the small size of the Island and the density of the population, there are strict controls regarding who may occupy dwellings on Guernsey. In recent years a number of measures have been taken, including the introduction of legislation, to control the occupation of housing.

Through the Population Management Law, the Population Management controls the occupation of the majority of dwellings on the Island. There is no control over the ownership of property in Guernsey. There are two sectors of housing in Guernsey which are known as the "Local Market" Controlled dwellings and "Open Market" dwellings inscribed in the Housing Register.

Local Market dwellings can only be occupied by locally qualified residents or licence holders.

Open Market dwellings can be freely occupied and purchased. However, they tend to be the larger and more expensive properties on the island.

The right to occupy all dwellings on Guernsey apart from those inscribed in Part A of the "Open Market" Housing Register is strictly controlled. The occupants either need to be qualified residents or in possession of a valid housing license. Both immediate family members and extended family members can live together in an Open Market Part A Private family home.

There are also Open Market properties that house adults who want to come to work in Guernsey but don’t hold an Employment Permit. These properties are Part D Houses of Multiple Occupation (HMOs) and adults moving to Guernsey can live in this accommodation for a maximum of 5 years.

Click Here for government recommendations regarding housing in Guernsey

Permit: The States of Guernsey can grant licences to people whose employment is deemed to be essential to the needs of the community. These licences are applied for by the employer and are for the specific post only. They range in length from 1 to 5 years.

Short Term Employment Permits: The Population Management will grant temporary licences (up to 1 year) and short- term licences (up to 5 years). These licences are granted if there are any shortages in local labour. These licences do not cover dependents and holders are required to leave the island once licences have expired.

Click Here for government recommendations regarding Guernsey housing licences

Resident Certificates and Employment Permits: Any person, who wishes to take up employment in Guernsey must have a valid Employment Permit document issued by the Population Management confirming that you are legally housed. It is an offence to work without a valid Employment Permit document. Employers have a legal responsibility to ensure that all new employees have the appropriate documentation.

Click Here for government recommendations regarding Guernsey Employment Permit.

There are no restrictions for UK citizens or nationals of a Member State of the European Economic taking up residency and working in Guernsey (subject to the above Housing Laws).

Commonwealth citizens under the age of 30 years can work in Guernsey for up to 2 years on the 'Working Holiday' visa. This documentation must be issued prior to arrival in the UK.

Click Here for further information

Immigration Passengers arriving from outside of the Common Travel Area (United Kingdom, Republic of Ireland, Channel Islands and the Isle of Man) will pass through an Immigration control. Passengers are examined under local legislation and those who qualify for admission are allowed to proceed.

If you intend to come to Guernsey you should also be aware that the Points-Based System (PBS) or previous Highly Skilled Migrant Programme (HSMP) in the United Kingdom, which introduced set criteria under which nationals of countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) will apply to come to or remain in the United Kingdom to work, train or study, has not been adopted in Guernsey.

Click here for more in-depth information relating to Immigration

Employment Permit​s are required by most overseas nationals who are coming to work in Guernsey. Some persons may be exempt from the requirement for a Employment Permit; for example a Commonwealth Citizen coming on a Working Holiday or having a U.K. born grandparent. In these and other exempt cases an entry clearance must be obtained before arriving in Guernsey.

Employment Permit for overseas nationals who require them are issued in accordance with the Immigration (Employment Permit) Rules made by the Home Affairs Minister and are administered by the Customs and Immigration Service. The rules set out the criteria to be met for the issue of a permit. A fee is charged for the processing of each application for a work permit; the fee is not refundable if the application is refused. Overseas nationals who have applied for a Employment Permit must not travel to the United Kingdom or Islands unless they are in possession of the required Employment Permit - otherwise they will be liable to be refused entry.

Click here for more in-depth information regarding Employment Permit